Tuesday 24 October 2017

Inspirations: Sulamith Wülfing & Gustav Klimt

For the painting I'm currently working on I was inspired by Sulamith Wülfing and Gustav Klimt, well not exactly Klimt. I don't actually like that much of Klimt's work, the painting below being one of the few I do:
 
I love the patterns but there's a muddiness to the skin and it's just so hard to tell what's going on in the painting. I suppose that instead of liking Klimt I like art inspired by him, modern takes on his use of gold and patterns with more contrast.



Sulamith Wülfing's work is much subtler, still heavy in patterns at times but with far gentler colours and figures that have an almost ethereal glow to them.

Der Weg (The Way) by Sulamith Wülfing 

 
Prepared by Sulamith Wülfing 

Die Krone (The Crown) by Sulamith Wülfing 

As tempted as I am to try to get that glow of Wülfing's paintings I simply don't know watercolour well enough yet, not with the background I want to do. I grew up with postcards of the bottom two paintings pinned to my door, I only found out who painted them a few years ago. It will be nice to do something with her in mind, even if the colours will be much bolder. Maybe later I'll try something with gentler colours.


No comments:

Post a Comment